Our Town

Our Town

Every tree has a story

Have you ever stood in front of a 100 year old tree in awe?  Have you ever wondered who planted that old magnolia in the yard or the towering oak you admire every fall with its firey red leaves?

I have been looking around the yard and thinking about what a garden club member told me over 15 years ago. She told me plant your trees now! She said, "Don't wait till you are older like me and wish you had planted more years ago".  Her point was to plant them so that you can enjoy them for years to come.  I am glad I took her advice.  I really looked up to her as she had the most beautiful yard!  This sweet lady would have myself and my daughter over just to show us her gardens.  She was in walking distance and Ashley adored her and I know she loved seeing my little 4 year daughter admiring her gardens.  She had a rose garden with various colors and names protected from the deer and she had flowers galore.  To this day Ashley, now a 20 years old  still recalls the rose garden.



After the words of wisdom from this dedicated gardener I started on my tree planting journey. Tim and I planted Dogwoods of different shades and variety, Crepe Myrtles of all colors, Oak trees, Maple trees, a Magnolia, Cherry, Crabapple, Japanese Maples, Red Buds and I could go on and on! Many of the trees we planted survived and some did not.  Many times it would be our own fault for not keeping the deer away. Time taught us lessons and we eventually would have a tree to survive spots we never could. Other times we gave up and planted shrub.



Now that I am older, I am thankful for the advice given to me.  I have a variety of trees I enjoy at different times of the year.  Some trees bloom and others change colors. Some are for shade and others for their petite style. A word of advice when planting a tree, be sure you are clear of water lines and power lines!  Do not get to close to your home or you will be trimming limbs all the time. As someone who has lived in the same house for nearly nineteen years I admire the older trees that were once planted by a previous owner. I take pride in the trees we planted that now tower up into the skies above.... Never will you regret planting a tree.
Try to plant some trees that will give your heart a smile in the Fall. I am so grateful that in the 60's these beautiful trees were planted and survive still today.




Plant trees along streams and walkways to give a natural look to a landscape. Not too close!

The once flowering cherry only survived 5 years before it started to look pitiful and die.

When we first moved to our home we planted a weeping cherry tree. One of my favorites! To this day we are still enjoying the pink blooms every spring.

Crepe myrtles come in all sizes. I had no clue what I was doing when I planted several around the yard. All survived and many have become much larger than expected. They make a statement of beauty more than once a year.


This is one of my favorite smaller trees. If I remember correctly this in the Red Dragon. Planted 10 years or more ago as a small twig.  

When Ashley was a little girl we planted one dogwood just for her.
 She named it Lucy. A couple years later we added another. Dogwoods seem to do well in twos or threes. I love the cluster of white mixed with pink blooms!

Another type of Japanese maple.This is probably the most stunning tree in the Spring. We planted it as a twig. This one is no dwarf. It is several feet tall and breath taking!

Straight ahead are the Pansy Leaf red Buds. They are amazing! In the spring we enjoy blooms and then to see the beautiful dark pansy shaped leaves add so much beautiful color to the yard.
Pansy leaf redbud in the fall.

The same pansy leafed red buds in bloom early spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lovely Clarksville-Montgomery County Public Library!

If you live in Clarksville and haven't been to the local library, you are missing out! Not only does the Clarksville-Montgomery County P...